What are your favourite foods? Mine range from amazing dishes I have had in restaurants (like the twice baked soufflé at La Gavroche) to reliable and delicious meals I have at home over and over again. Meals that are often unhealthy, but always comforting and mood lifting. I either eat until I am I pain or I complain that there wasn’t enough.
My all time favourite dishes to cook at home include: gratin dauphinoise, a cheesy pasta bake, roast rib of beef (cooked very rare) and fajitas. I rarely use a recipe and this trial and error approach is not always successful.
Discovery offered to send me some of their products for me to cook at home. With my love of fajitas and Mexican food I was interested to see whether their kits and spice mixes made cooking a tasty Mexican meal easy and fool proof.
What we tried
I was sent 3 of their meal kits:
The Perfect Fajita Kit (Medium Spice)
The perfect Fajita Kit (with a Mild spice gluten free crispy crumb)
The Perfect Enchilada Kit (Medium Spice)
As well as:
Chilli Con Carne Seasoning Mix (Hot Spice)
Fajita Seasoning Mix (Mild)
Soured Cream Topping (Mild, obviously)
Salsa (Medium spice)
Green Jalapeno Relish (Medium Spice)
- The different spice mixes allow you to make the dishes as spicey as you like
- I like my food mild to medium spiced, my partner likes his hot. Using the salsa, jalapeno and Soured Cream we could adjust each one to meet our tastes
- Overall everything was really tasty and incredibly easy to cook
- I am a sour cream addict and love the idea that I can have a squeezy jar of it in my cupboard for when needed, rather than having a tub in my fridge that only lasts a few days (if I open it or not)
- I love that the compact packs contain tortilla, spice mix and a relevant sauce/ salsa so you just need to add your chosen ingredients
- You can use the spice and then add in your own twist: chicken fajita with peppers and onion? Or do you prefer your fajita without meat?
- Fajita’s can be a healthy and fun dish for all the family (especially if you don’t add cheese and sour cream, but personally I find them slightly less yummy this way).
- Children and adults alike enjoy grabbing all the different ingredients and rolling them up in a tortilla.
- The Crispy Crumb coating is a really easy and tasty way to make chicken bites. If you like to know the welfare of your chicken (like we do) this is a great alternative to frozen bread crumbed chicken, and it doesn’t take any longer.
- Using the spice mix for Chilli makes it very easy to get the right balance of flavours.
- The spice mixes take up hardly any space in your cupboard so you can store them for when you want delicious food in a hurry
- If you have any allergies they have a really handy chart so you can see at a glance what you can eat
- I followed the recipe for the enchiladas, but if I made it again I would add some veg
- To prevent waste once you open the squeezy sauce jars you will want to use them for a few meals over a week or two.
- Read both the “just add” instructions on the front of the packet as well as the instructions on the pack to ensure you have everything you might want before you start.
All the recipes were very easy to follow involving nothing more than: chop, mix, stir, cook, roll.
Cooking "The Perfect Fajita"
Cooking "The Perfect Enchilada"
My family really enjoyed eating our way through all the Discovery goodies. They were tasty and easy to make. I would definitely buy the Perfect Fajita Kit, the sour cream topping and the crispy crumb coating again and I'm looking forward to trying some of the other food in their range.
The Small Print: I was kindly sent the products to enjoy and review. I was not paid and all words and thoughts are my own.
If you want to "discover" a really easy way to enjoy Mexican food yourself you can find out more information on their website, their facebook page, or just pick up a packet in all good supermarkets